Support for women and children in cases of domestic violence
BIG Hotline gives support and advice to all women and children who experience or have experienced domestic violence in their relationship and to all women who are being harassed, threatened or stalked by their (ex)partner.
Telephone number: +49 (0) 30 - 611 03 00
When can I call the BIG Hotline?
The BIG Hotline can be reached 24/7 every day throughout the year (weekends and holidays included).
The BIG Hotline gives confidential and free advice.
Who can call the BIG Hotline?
- women who experience or have experienced domestic violence
- anyone calling on behalf of abused women and their children (friends, relatives, people providing support, etc.)
- staff members from institutions or government agencies that deal with domestic violence
- to provide crisis intervention, safety planning, information and referrals to agencies in all 50 states, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Assistance is available in English and Spanish with access to more than 170 languages through interpreter services.
Can I get help if I don’t speak German?
Let us know what language you speak. Within 10 to 15 minutes we will organise an interpreter for the consultation.
How will the Hotline help me?
- Through clarification of the situation as it is now, relief and guidance
- We help you develop a safety plan for you and your children
- We give you information about how police and courts can help
- We give you information about other advice services and putting you into contact with them
- We help you finding shelter or other accommodation options
- We offer psychosocial crisis intervention
What is “Mobile Intervention”? Can I use the service?
When phone counselling isn’t sufficient, the Hotline counsellors also do Mobile Interventions. They will discuss the situation with you and meet you at a safe location. You will receive counselling on location and, if necessary, accompaniment to a shelter, hospital or to a court, etc.
What is „Proactive Counselling”?
During a case of domestic violence police may be involved. The police can pass on your telephone number and address to the BIG Hotline with your prior consent. One of our female counsellors will call you to give you advice and further support.
E-mail Counselling (web based)
You can also receive advice through email. Information will not be sent through a standard email but will be deposited in an individual mail box on a server. Only you will know the key. This system ensures maximum security and anonymity.
- Click here for e-mail advice.
The team of the BIG Hotline currently consists of 22 female part-time employees. They are all experienced staff members, working or having worked at shelters, women’s advice centres and intervention agencies against domestic violence or at the “Berliner Krisendienst” (Berlin Crisis Service). They have different professional backgrounds such as psychology, law or social work. They are highly qualified, committed and often multilingual.
BIG Hotline employs women with and without children, older and younger women, women with disabilities, women with different ways of life and cultures.
Working at the BIG Hotline requires extensive psychological competence, communication skills, experience and competence in crisis intervention and extensive knowledge of the Berlin support system as well as about the legal possibilities.
Supervisions and further trainings ensure the quality of the BIG Hotline work. Thus, all employees are always up-to-date in terms of relevant laws, etc.
The BIG Hotline is managed by two coordinators. In addition the BIG Hotline employs one assistant that is responsible for finances and administration.
The coordinators responsibilities are: internal organisation of the BIG Hotline, human resources, documentation and evaluation of the BIG Hotline work, public relations, support of the BIG e.V. management in the acquisition of financial resources, cultivating social contacts with cooperating partners, establishing new contacts and management in the longer term.
Do you have questions, suggestions or want to give us a feedback?
Postfach 30 41 05